Monday, October 09, 2006

USGP Gloucester Day 1

Well, I've got my first pro start out of the way. Granted, I was racing U23 and was only really racing against 25 or so guys, starting in a pack of 110 riders can be somewhat hectic and add to the experience. Making it more enjoyable was the fact that I was toe'n the same start line with guys that I've been reading about in magazines since I was 14.
getting dressed Glouster Day 1
I brought a full crew. Complete with my mechanic (yea, I'm big time) His daughter and my biggest supporter, Heather (I think she was texting some of my other supporters about my blingin' socks.)

The race went ok. I wasn't nearly as aggressive as I should have been. I'm wasn't used to starting in a pack that large and putting my bike into real estate that really isn't real estate like some of the other riders were.
After getting behind a few crashes and having to pick my way around them slowly, I was shortly off the back.
Hurt locker Glouster Day 1
The rest of the race was a long hurt fest. As I went from hurt bag to hurt grinder to hurt locker the laps clicked away. When I saw 4 laps to go I had a new sense of hope that maybe I'd make it through without being lapped. But that lap would be the lap that I saw the leaders come by me and it would be my last. Mr. UCI official put me out of my pain with 3 laps to go and 40min of racing under my belt.
I had no idea that I would be able to last that long.
Hurt Grinder Glouster Day 1
The weather was pretty fantastic.

And so it goes. Cross season is officially started for me and as the weeks click by I'm more than sure I'll be impoving on my 90/110 placing and top 20 in the U23s.


Gloucester Day 2 tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

damn i look cute in that picture.