Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Compton Cup

I think this picture sums up my race.
I was inches from riding up the insanely steep run-up. But just not quite there. I was inches from not tripping over the first set of barriers on the first lap. The people who kindly ran over my hand and foot were inches from not riding on me. Switching over to metric, I was a nanometer from not having air leak out of my valve and give me a flat.
The thing about racing in New England is its a hot bed for Cycle Cross. Some of the best riders in the world have come from here. Because of that, podunk races such as the Compton Cup have racers of world class capabilities. It's right out of their front door too. This can make for some mentally and physically hard weekends.
It'll come together. Someday. When todays workout was over, all I could think about was tomorrows workout and whats on tap for the day after that. And how to pack in the most recovery between the points. Cycling takes time. You've got to take your licks, learn and go back and give'r the next weekend. Its all going to click, and when it does, it'll click big because each week I'm inches from making it all come together.

No comments: